Enjoying a temperate climate, the Napanook vineyard’s volcanic, well draining soils are specifically suited to growing Cabernet Sauvignon and the other Bordeaux varietals which compose the Dominus Estate wines.
In 1838, George Yount, who gave his name to the nearby town of Yountville, planted some of the first vines of the valley here. In 1850, he sold the land to Charles Hopper, another early settler, as part of a significant land purchase extending to the north. Since that time, the Estate has had several esteemed owners, including Hugh La Rue, a pioneer in the use of rootstocks, and John Daniel, the owner of Inglenook, who added the grapes from the Napanook Vineyard in the Inglenook blend from 1943.
Historic Napanook Vineyard